Summary of Standards as a Volunteer Hospice
To ensure quality service is provided to the community, Hospice of San Luis Obispo County abides by the following self-imposed standards:
- Provide free services to those grieving or coping with life threatening illness.
- Implement intake criteria that do not restrict persons who have prognoses longer than six months, have no primary caregivers, wish to continue aggressive or curative treatment, or wish to continue life-sustaining treatment (CPR, TPN, etc.).
- Educate the community about all modes of hospice care and end-of-life issues.
- Offer services in partnership to any and all health care provider agencies in the community.
- Encourage diversity of volunteer hospice models and recognize that programs are individually tailored to meet the needs of their own communities.
- Provide bereavement care to the survivors of clients served, and to any others in the community dealing with grief issues who request assistance.
- Maintain a governing board that is legally responsible for the management, operation, and financial security of the organization.